Moyhu was founded between 1856 and 1875, with the first known land sales around the town in 1859, and became the home of several large butter factories, and a timber mill. It's believed the name of the Moyhu came from the corruption of the name Moihu, a village in Ireland where several of the early pioneer families came from.
The Post Office opened on 1 January 1868. During the late 1800s, Moyhu was a lively centre, and the home of many race meetings, dances and other social events.
The Moyhu Hotel was established in 1877, and Victoria's first narrow gauge railway line was opened in 1899 and connected the King Valley with the broad gauge line at Wangaratta.